February 5, 2011

Oriental Offerings

















I have been craving good Chinese food for quite a while now (those of you who have read my status messages on G Talk will know), so when I heard that good ol’ China Town was playing host to the Chinese Food Festival, an ode to the Year of the Rabbit, my mind was made up.

After cajoling the boss and my other colleague, us three super troopers decided to satiate our appetites with some stir-fry, Szechwan magic. (I’m telling you, my lunch break is all I look forward to on a ‘hard(ly) working’ Saturday.) Warmly welcomed in the China Town abode, the three of us got down to business immediately.

Orders placed, the majority of our time was spent sharing office banter, watching glimpses of the Filmfare awards on NDTV (BREAKING NEWS: SRK wins the Best Actor award…sigh! This is what ‘News’ has been reduced to) and generally ruing the fact that we were working on a damn Saturday. And then, slowly but surely, the most delicious looking food arrived in all its glory.

We started with the Mongolian Vegetable Soup, a silky smooth concoction of dark soy and stock, perfectly infused with the fresh, inspired flavours of garlic, ginger and fresh vegetables. The starters comprise of Stir-Fried Szechwan Vegetables, crisp, crunchy vegetables tossed in a ginger and soy reduction, and the wickedly delightful, cotton-cloudesque Chicken Szechwan Dim Sum. Gloriously light, this was by far one of the most cleverly put together dishes simply because of its innovative use of a spicy stuffing as opposed to blanched, insipid meat. 

Main course consisted of the interestingly flavoured Broccoli, Baby Corn and Mushroom in Hunan Sauce, but the real winner was the Crispy Chicken Chilli Oyster Sauce – a perfect combination of crisp chicken shards dunked in a sharp, yet succulent oyster chilli sauce. Combine that with the Lotus Leaf Wrapped Vegetable Fried Rice and soft, stir-fried noodles and ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!  

Sufficiently stuffed, my colleagues seemed to prefer lolling on the sofas, I was determined to end my already perfect meal on a sweet note. Reluctantly, the two agreed and I squealed in delight as my order of Pineapple Wonton arrived. Crisp, crunchy parcels stuffed with the tangy, golden goodness of luscious pineapple…well what can I say? If this is what the Year of the Rabbit promises to be, then Bugs Bunny is on the top of the list for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment