February 4, 2011

Budget bites!














So it is the end of the month and presumably, the pockets are not only dry, they are practically dehydrated. But I still want good food, I don’t want to pay more than 50 rupees and I do not want roaches as a side order when my plate arrives. Now where oh where am I going to find a place that will meet even one of these criteria…hmmm…

It was when I came to Chennai in 1995 that I first remember visiting Shirdi Bites. My mum’s office used to be in the same arcade as this joint and every day, promptly after school my pesky brother and I would be asked to wait at Shirdi Bites until my mum finished with her meetings. Not that we minded really. Every day we tried something new – but the staple favourites were hot, butter-laden parathas and sinfully cheesy pav bhaji.

Now let me shatter all the illusions that you have of this place before I proceed any further. Shirdi has been around forever now, but It is not even remotely a pretty place. It has no ambience, there are no polite stewards (only cooks who have names like Shomu, Somu and Chotu and holler out the names of dishes like it were their worst enemy) and It is NOT the perfect place to just chill.

In fact, it’s just a hole in the wall that has some weird tiling (I swear they look like bathroom tiles!) and a board that hasn’t been changed since its inception.  But that to me, is still what makes this tiny joint all the more charming. There is nothing fussy, pretentious or affected about Shirdi. Ask the owner and she will tell you with a broad grin “If asli desi khana and hygienic food is what you want, then come here. This is not a hang out joint, in fact, we would appreciate it if people ate and left. Else, there is no way to accommodate the crowd.”

Simply put, if soul food is what you crave, then the buck stops here. They have at least 15 different varieties of parathas, a few thali and meal combos, the ubiquitous chilli cheese toast and Bombay sandwich, apart from the chats and juices. My pick of the lot is the good ol’ Aloo Paratha and their combo paratha (you get to choose the three fillings), the Pav Bhaji, Aloo Tikki Channa, Sambhar Rice (yes I know, North Indians making the best sambhar rice…get over it!) and masala chaas. Oh and did I mention their portions are huge?

So next time, when it is ‘that time of the month’ (I see you, horrible perverted thinkers!) and the hunger pangs strike, just head to Shirdi Bites and sink your teeth into yummy, healthy and pocket-friendly food. And while you are there, have a drink of buttermilk for me, will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment