January 18, 2011

Who moved my cheese?






















I’m a sucker for all thing cheese – cheese spread, cheese cubes, cream cheese, goat cheese, yak cheese, smelly blue cheese (yes I know a lot of people feel that they smell and taste like feet)…you name it and I love it.  
My travails with cheese also transports me back to the time when my brother and I would fight over slices of Kraft that ‘affluent’ aunts and uncles would bring down for us.  It was the ultimate status symbol you know – refrigerators stocked with tins of Kraft and bars of Toblerone made you the ‘cool’ kid on the block and boy, didn’t we all want to be flag bearers of that coveted title!
Of course, that being said, it didn’t matter how disgusting the cheese tasted. In fact, Kraft came out with this repulsive range of fruit cheeses – you had a pineapple cheese, a strawberry cheese, heck even a grape cheese!  But to my surprise, even that didn’t deter me from my cheesy exploits.
Recently, after a late night soiree, my equally cheese crazy friend and I ambushed her kitchen in order to find what she claims is the ‘BESTEST’ cheese ever. She then introduced me to an innocuous looking tin, much similar to Kraft, only it read ‘Al Marai.’ Now I have to confess, I was a bit skeptical, but once I bit into the cheddar, it was simply the creamiest cheese ever. These Arabs sure know how to milk their cows for all its worth.
My experiments with cheese notwithstanding, I truly have found favour with the tub of Philadelphia cream cheese that has been lying in my refrigerator for a while now. I had the opportunity and good fortune of meeting with Chef Brainard Colaco, the father of molecular gastronomy in India and the Executive Chef, Bakery & Confectionery for The French Loaf, one of my favourite cafes.
Here is his recipe for the best Lemon Cheesecake ever (*Note to all: this recipe is much easier than it looks)
Traditional Lemon Cheesecake
Serves 10-12 portions     Baking temperature: 160*C

Base:
Digestive Biscuits: 200 gms
Unsalted Butter:  100 gms
Caster Sugar: 75gms

Filling :
Unsalted Butter: 150 gms
Caster Sugar: 170gms
4 large Eggs
Refined Flour:  30 gms
Finely grated lemon zest of one lemon
½ tsp of Vanilla essence
Soft Cream cheese: 675 gms  (room temperature)
Milk: 60 ml

Topping :
Sour Cream: 425ml
Icing Sugar: 1 tbsp’
Lemon juice: Juice of 1 lemon

Method:
To make the crumb base, put the biscuits in a food processor and process until fine crumbs. Alternatively, you could put the biscuits in a large plastic bag and finely crush them with a rolling pin. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over gentle heat, and then stir in the crumbs and sugar. Spread the crumb mixture over the base of the prepared cake tin, pressing down lightly. Stand the tin on a baking sheet and cook in a preheated oven @190*C for 8-10 mins. Remove from the oven and let it cool.
Reduce the temperature of the oven to 160*C.

To make the filling: Put the butter and sugar in a large bowl and using a hand mixer beat until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs. Mix in the flour, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla. Put the soft cheese in a separate bowl and beat with the hand mixer until smooth .gently beat in the milk, and then gradually beat in the butter and the sugar mixture. Spoon the mixture over the crumb base and level the surface. Bake in a preheated oven for 1 ½ hours in a water bath.

To make the topping, put the sour cream, icing sugar and lemon juice in a large bowl and lightly beat. Chill until required. Remove the cheesecake from the oven and increase the temperature to 190*C. Pour over the cheesecake. Return to the oven for 8-10 min or until set. Chill before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment