January 17, 2011

Of wine & wishful thinking!


I love birthdays! And I love them even more so, when it happens to be mine. After a fun-filled New Year vacation in Goa, my friends and I came back, spent, tired and visibly tanned (exactly the opposite of what a vacation is supposed to do for you), and swore off our liquid diet for eternity (ok, who am I kidding?), much to the happiness of my mother and unfortunately, to the dismay of all the watering holes in the city.
Thus, in a bid to get back into shape, all of us have decided to spend the weekends with our aprons and chef hats on, an occasional glass of wine and back-to-back movies. The weekend that went by (Jan 14, 15 &16) saw us do exactly this and more. 
Saturday night started off with some delicious Indian khana in a neighbourhood restaurant (the English Breakfast in Goa had deadened all our taste buds)…replete with platters full of kebabs, dum biryani, pots of creamy , luscious dal, kulfi and more. Ah, bliss!
What then followed was a toast to yours truly as my closest pals ushered in my birthday (I of course acted all melodramatic and surprised as they cut a huge, gargantuan chocolate cake for me as the clock struck twelve). At this point, I have to confess that I am the kind of person who is incapable of people throwing surprises for me – a fact that meets with a lot of ire, yelling and abuse from my friends.
Anyway, night on the terrace with cake, wine and star-gazing over, I then proceeded to spend the day with family and one of my closest friends. My poor mum spent hours slaving in the kitchen cooking a wonderful meal, my aunt made a gorgeous chocolate cake with macerated strawberries and gramps even got me the regular stash of goodies from Grand Sweets. Now isn’t this what birthdays are all about?
Night saw coffee with friends, and then a dreamy, star-gazing night as all of us sat at a rooftop restaurant talking about the value of life (commendable conversation considering we weren’t high!), Mediterranean cruises and the beauty of Goa during the off-season.
Even as the night drew to a close, with my self-proclaimed eventful day coming to an end, I couldn’t help but sing to myself…What a Wonderful World…

No comments:

Post a Comment