March 17, 2011

The heat is on!

I have always loved sport…okay, maybe not playing it as much as watching it, but from what I can remember, it has always been an integral part of my life. Maybe that’s because I was always considered ‘one of the guys’ in school (I could beat seasoned seniors at a mean game of pool, thank you very much; or it could also because all the men, women and children in my house are addicted to sport – cricket, tennis, golf, soccer, you name it and there will definitely be some action and live commentary happening my household.

That brings me to my topic of discussion or debate today – India Vs West Indies on March 20 at the MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai baby! I love, love, love watching cricket at the stadium…what an adrenaline rush! So this time when I check the schedule for WC 2011 and saw that India had a game in Chennai, I decided to bug all and sundry for a ticket!
 
The chances seemed bleak, me clinging on to a rope of hope…and just when things seemed down, lo and behold! A very very dear friend, one of my best girls in fact made it happen! So I have decided to reward her and pack a picnic basket replete with sandwiches and cookies. Here’s what I’m making:

Pressed Picnic Sandwiches
·         1 large loaf of ciabatta bread, sliced lengthwise
·         3-4 tablespoons fresh pesto
·         1/4 lb. sliced sweet sopressata
·         3-4 slices good prosciutto
·         3-4 slices provolone cheese
·         3-4 slices mozzarella cheese
·         6-8 basil leaves, washed and patted dry
·         plastic wrap, for wrapping the sandwiches

METHOD:  Slice the ciabatta bread lengthwise, so that there is a top and a bottom slice. Spread 3-4 tablespoons of fresh pesto over the bottom piece of bread. I like a lot of pesto, but don’t use so much that the bread becomes soggy. Top the pesto with the sopressata, then the prosciutto, then the provolone and mozzarella cheese. Top the cheese with your basil leaves, then place the top of the bread on the sandwich. Press down on the sandwiches with your hands, then very tightly wrap them in plastic wrap (seriously – do this as tight as you possible can). When you are ready to eat, unwrap the sandwiches and use a very sharp knife to cut the sandwich into 9-12 small sandwiches.


Peanut Butter M&M Cookies
·         1 3/4 cups flour
·         1/2 teaspoon salt
·         1 teaspoon baking soda
·         1/2 cup shortening or butter for a flatter cookie
·         1/2 cup sugar
·         1/2 cup brown sugar
·         1/2 cup peanut butter
·         1 egg
·         1 teaspoon vanilla
·         2 tablespoons milk
·         1/2 large bag M&Ms

 METHOD: Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment. Whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl, set aside. With a hand or stand mixer, cream the shortening (or butter), sugars and peanut butter. Stir in the egg, vanilla and milk. Add the dry ingredients and mix till just combined. Using a wooden spoon, gently stir in the M&Ms. Drop by tablespoons onto baking sheets and lightly press down with a fork to barely flatten cookies. Bake 10 minutes; let cool on wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment